Saturday 11 April 2015

Why I love London

London is often billed as one of the best places to live in the world, and in spite of the noise, the pollution and the expense of living here, I'm inclined to agree. Here's why:

1. There's always something new to discover

I've lived in London most of my life, and I still haven't seen every part of it...and for the parts I do know well, there's still restaurants and bars and parks I've yet to visit. For someone who loves exploring, London is the perfect place to live as there's so much to see.



2. There are numerous green spaces

47% of London is green space, which isn't bad for a capital city. These green spaces include parks with interesting features such as giant buddhas or Japanese gardens or free zoos, as well as farms and peaceful stretches by the river; you certainly don't have to leave the city to feel closer to nature.


Greenwich Park

3. It's a great transport hub

I love travelling [as well you know by now] and I'm lucky to live somewhere that has so many flight connections to the rest of the World. London also train connections to European destinations as well as the rest of the UK, so it's a fantastic base for starting adventures.



Waiting In Luton Airport

4. There's so much variety

Some cities only offer a few different types of food in their restaurants, but London offers every type of cuisine imaginable - over the years I've sampled Japanese, Chinese, Mexican, Portuguese, Lebanese and Indian food, all within one city. Not only is there a huge variety of food in London, there are also a huge variety of cultures, as well as different types of music, different accents, different beliefs and different types of entertainment. London is a true melting pot, and that's what makes it so fascinating.  



A mixture of foods at Camden Market


5. It's not uniform

I love that London is not set out on a grid. Whilst grid systems are easy to navigate and make sense logically, I like how higgledy-piggledy London is, literally full of twists and turns. I love how it's a mixture of different architectural styles, and how new skyscrapers are often housed next to centuries' old buildings. Everything in London is a mish- mash, and as that's how I view my personality, it suits me down to the ground.    


No comments: